Fixin' A FlatFixin' A FlatFixin' A FlatFixin' A Flat

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Things Left Unsaid...

There's a name for my kid's flat head.  I don't think I've mentioned it yet.  It's called "Positional Plagiocephaly" (Plagio) or in lamen's terms, "Making Parents Feel Like Failures Since 2009" (MPFLFS2).

When you first meet your little dude or dudette you're told to make sure they sleep on their back. Hey - anything that keeps that dreaded SIDS away is fine by me. On his back he goes.

They don't tell you that you should alternate the side of the crib or bassinet they sleep on every night. Or that you should put mobiles or interesting things to look at on both sides to keep your babe looking back and forth instead of stuck on one side (or in our case, flat on the back of the head).

Then they tell you to make sure you get tummy time in. But they don't tell you what to do if your kid screams blue murder any time he's face down.

They tell you that breast is best, which is cool because you feed from both sides so they're switching back and forth which side of the head they're on. They don't tell you that if you formula feed you should be switching them back and forth in your arms each feed for the same effect.

It's a horrible feeling knowing that things you did or didn't do put your child in the position where they may need some type of medical intervention. It fills you with guilt.

They don't tell you what to do about that either.

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog on the Yahoo group post you left. I am crying as I read this because I feel so guilty that my son has a flat head and it's all my fault. I was so careful with my first child and she has such a beautiful bowling ball round head. With my son, it was different, he had a "torticolis" and when I noticed something was wrong it was too late. His forehead was bulging on one side a little bit more than the other one. My family DR says it's very mild and everything will be ok as he grows up but what if it doesn't? he is such a beautiful boy from the front but when you look at him from the top or the side, his head looks a little weird. I don't want him to be laughed at because of me when he is older. Anyways, thanks for listening and just know you are not the only one that feels this way. Just hope my DR would agree to having the helmet for my son. I can't do anything without a DR's prescription.

    ReplyDelete